Angelfish Care, FishTankWeb.Com – The popularity among the fresh water fish creates a long list of Angelfish care to learn.
None of the suggestion is hard. Even so, many owners care less about the small details. It is difficult to say that they don’t know, since the caring information are everywhere.
To make things easier, learn the list of thumbs up and the capital no below.
Every aspect of fish raising require special care. Some that include in the list are the tank, water and the angelfish itself. Don’t forget about things to do in breeding process.
Watch out for beginner’s failure. You don’t want to hurt your own pet.
Table of Contents:
Angelfish Care – Tank Setting
The captive is a limited space compared to its natural habitat. It will be the whole new world for your angelfish, and probably a place to spend the rest of its life.
Copy the Amazon river environment and paste it into your tank. No need to fly there, just a simple research in the internet. Your fish surely will appreciate your effort.
1. Choose 20 gallons tank. Consider the fully growth size of an angelfish: six inches. This size is the minimum requirements.
2. Any bigger space is welcomed, but any smaller aquarium will be suffocating. Remember: fish are meant to swim, not stay still.
3. Pick tall aquarium. Your angelfish has long and thin fins. As the balancing body part, any injury should be avoided.
4. The higher, the better. The fish’s fins will not be scratched by any tank decoration. Set twenty to thirty inches tall tank as the minimum standard.
5. Arrange a lot of plants like algae. The fish love to hide in any sign of danger. Also, it could be the emergency food.
6. Put some natural “stream litter”. It will help the flat fish to adapt faster. Simply place pile of oak leaf or driftwood root in the tank.
1. Set the Ph higher than 7.5. To replicate Amazon river’s river, the Ph should be between 6 to 7.5.
2. Make the water steady. Angelfish is active explorer and live in low stream river.
Angel Fish Tank Care
The perfect setting is done. Now it is time to perform cleaning routines. It shouldn’t be done too often, as the water temperature might change.
Do it in just the right time and performed using the appropriate method.
1. Change the water every week. The basic rule in water changing applies: 30% of freshwater, if you take weekly draining plan.
Young angelfish need more frequent cleaning schedule: once every two or three days.
2. Put a filter media. If it is automatic filter, set into weekly option. Manual filter does similar job, minus the time setting equipment.
3. Remove the leftover food. The rotten food could stay in the bottom tank, releasing nitrate to the water.
As the result, the water will be polluted and trigger gill diseases. Use vacuum to help you with the job.
1. Ignore the water test kit. It will help you to make a draining schedule. Besides, you need reliable parameter but your eyes.
2. Add too much aquarium salt. The routine helps to kill unwanted bacterias. More than 1 tablespoon per gallon will kill the fish.
Angelfish Care – Breeding
In the wild, it is so hard to breed angelfish. The ones purchased in the fish store is easier to breed.
It is under certain conditions: perfect temperature and setting. Learn how to set them.
1. Keep six young angelfish together and let them pair naturally. They won’t attack each other, yet. Sexing the adults is difficult.
2. The clear sign is only shown when it enters mature age and mating period. The males have smaller body and more pointed fins. They are more aggressive in defending their area.
3. Raise the water temperature to 80 degree Fahrenheit. It is the perfect temperature for spawning.
4. Put water plant with wide leaves. If the mating process goes well, the tiny flat fish will utilize it to lay its eggs. Males swim behind the females and fertilize every single egg.
5. Take away the breeding pair after they lay egg. Angelfish is no good as parents. They like to eat the eggs and also the fries.
1. Make stressing environment, such as brighter lighting or dirty water. In this condition, the female angelfish will bite its own fin or swim restlessly.
Angelfish Care – Tank Mates
Being social is important, but within the limitation. Even under sea living creatures know about over population.
Some others are just not meant for each others. Don’t step over the line. Otherwise, the fish will be aggressive.
- Choose Tetras and Platies as the swimming friends. They belong to non-aggressive species. Besides, they are not threatening Angelfish with its small appearance.
1. Put more than one angelfish in a tank. They will fight. A pair of angelfish is still okay.
2. Bring bigger friend to the tank. It threatens the flat fish. In addition, the huge fish will bully the small fish by nipping the fins.
3. Press the tank space for big number of fish. This situation could make angelfish becomes territorial.
Read too: 17 suitable angelfish Tank Mates
Angelfish Care – Feeding
There is no compromise if it comes to food. It could make your fish healthy or sick. Avoid the worse and get the best only with these following tips.
1. Provide meat protein as staple food. If you choose to be simple, give special pellet for cichlid. This food already has vitamins and minerals in it.
2. Throw in live food: white worms, crustaceans or small insects. Once per week is okay. These foods are just treat, anyway.
3. Raise your own brine shrimp in separated tank. The live fish food grows quite fast within weeks. Scoop the over-populated community and move it to the angelfish tank.
1. Rely on pellet only. Angelfish is omnivorous. It needs nutrition from plants, too.
2. To supply enough vitamins, once in a while you can give algae wafer. Vegetables could be an option. Make sure it is fresh and chopped into tiny pieces.
See Too: Amazing Angelfish, Koran Angelfish
Angelfish Care – Conclusion
Defending its seat on the top list of most popular fresh water fish is not simple. The fans of this fish admire the unique shape and color.
While being entertaining, this fish also demand several living condition.
For example: clean water, low stream, and suitable food. Follow the rules above to provide the top Angelfish care for the adorable tank pet.
Please Support Us with Share and Like! Thank you!